Monday, March 12, 2007

Hello and welcome

Hello and welcome to our special blog. I have had thoughts on and off of doing this for awhile, and I guess I've finally been driven to it by the need to be able to communicate with people. Our family is very fortunate to have so many people who care about us, who care about Sam, and are genuinely interested in what's going on with him. One thing I find very difficult is keeping everyone informed about Sam's day to day life, about his successes and about his challenges. I hope to be able to document some of what our life is like, the good and the bad, and maybe keep the people closest to us informed. I also would welcome hearing from anyone who is facing the same types of challenges we are, to be able to share thoughts and offer support.

Our son Sam is 6 years old and was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome at age 4 1/2. Since that time, he's made remarkable progress on some fronts but has continued to face many challenges on others. Right now he attends kindergarten in a public elementary school and is in an integrated classroom (some children with special needs, some that are "typical") Our school district has been extroidinarily supportive and adaptible. He had a very difficult start to the school year, then after implementing various strategies, he achieved a good degree of success for several months. In the last month or so, however, things have gone downhill again and we find ourselves back to the drawing board. My fears are that he will not be able to "make it" in the public school, and that we will have to place him elsewhere, effectively ending what little social connections he's made at his school now. It's so very frustrating to me that we are failing him by not being able to get to the bottom of his issues.

Sam is truly a blessing to my life. Despite the frustrations and hard work that being the parent of a child with an ASD involves, I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I feel I'm a fighter, and I don't intend to give up seeking the best for my child.

No comments: