Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Everyday frustration

Another day in the life of the Doughertys. Things aren't going particularly bad or good, just some everyday frustrating things. One thing I'm very thankful for in life is my friends. They have been very supportive and helpful to me over the past few years, and I appreciate having that safety net around me. Occasionally, however, I come away from a get-together with them feeling more isolated than before I went. I know this is no fault of theirs, it's just sometimes I find it so hard to hear about all the activities their typically developing children engage in, how easy it is for them to get up and go to school each day, etc. It makes the distance between the life we lead here seem so far from the life other families lead. Sometimes I wish the most serious problem I had was what sport to sign my child up for, or what caterer to use for my upcoming party. I know that this is all relative- they have those things that they and their children struggle with, some of which we don't struggle with. They have never been anything but supportive of me, and welcoming of our family. Still I feel like maybe occasionally they get sick of hearing about the problems Sam has in school, the issues we have in relating to the school administration and teachers, etc. I know I get tired of it, and I'm living it! There are occasions when the job of trying to live as "normal" a life as possible gets very tiring for me. At times like these I just want to just live like the way I want to, and not have to fit my square-peg exisitence into a round hole. The truth is, I don't want my child to play in organized sports anyway, I don't want him to do things just because other kids are doing them or thats what kids do, I just want him to be happy, find a few friends, have a good time now and then. With these goals in mind and things broken down into snall, manageable units, I continue on and maybe will even live to enjoy another coffee hour!

No comments: