Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Working at "getting" RDI

Well, we've been working on hard incorporating RDI concepts into everyday life here at the Dougherty house. It really has been a lot of work- I find myself analyzing everything that comes out of my mouth when I talk to Sam. I often think about how I could have effectively dealt with a conversation better, or how I could have injected some "declarative language" into what we were doing. One thing I know I have a problem with is slowing down! I'm so used to multi-taking to get everything done that I have a hard time taking my time to do anything. I've always been bothered by how much in a rush we always feel, but I don't do anything to remeady that. Maybe now is that time!
Sam for the most part responds well to the RDI activities, but he is clearly uncomfortable with the pauses and silences that are part of how we communicate now. Our household has always been so filled with non-stop talking (let's face it- all three of us are chatterboxes) that it's quite a change to go the other way. He sometimes has difficulty transitioning to an activity, but nearly always gets into it and fully participates.

No comments: