Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas to all!

I'm happy to say that the reason I haven't posted lately is because things have been going so well. Sam is having a good year at school, thanks to some new-found diligence on our part (it's too easy to become complacent when things are going fairly smoothly. You tend to let some things slide that maybe should be paid more close attention to) Anyway, I'm thankful not to have to be reliving the stress of last year at this time. Sam's anxiety level is pretty low at the moment- he's handling stresses better, coping with disappointments well, and is doing better in social situations.

My stress level, however, is about to go up. The BIG decision about middle school placement is just over the horizon in January and February. A lot riding on this one. Keep him in a program where he gets lots of support, behavior management, and sensory integration, BUT may not teach him up to grade level, ruining his chances at a regent diploma and college? Put him in a new program that may get him up to grade level, increase the expectations for academics, and integrate him more fully with "typical" peers, BUT probably offer minimal support from untrained aides who don't get it or him? Give him drugs that MAY allow him to focus better, but first mess around with dosages so he feels like shit, sleeps badly, and produces god only knows what other side effects?

If there's one thing I hate about the autism diagnosis, it's that "trial and error" kind of mentality about interventions. I know all kids are different and what works for one may not work for others, but I can't stand the whole "Let's-try-this-and-see-if-it-works-and-then-if-it-doesn't-we'll-try-something-else" Makes me feel as if my kid is being used as test case for someone's research project. Once the project is done, the report is submitted, and the person who did it gets their grade, but I'm still stuck with figuring out my kid's future. I bet parents of NT kids don't go through this with the transition to middle school. I bet they just go from one school building to the next one, in the same town, with many of the same students. What a concept!! I bet they don't have to traipse from one classroom to the next, from one town to the next, comparing programs, facilities, teachers and therapists who may or may not be there next year, consider how long the bus ride will be, or whether their child will have support to help them be organized, make friends, handle assignments, etc. No, the neuro-typical school experience is one this family will never have.

I had one of those really pleasant conversations today (in the midst of a school xmas party, no less) with a social worker who, for the umpteenth time, had to tell me that Sam would really benefit from ADHD drugs- and that I should just ask so-and-so's parents who were also against drugging their child, but who is doing miraculously well now that he's on them. No one ever wants to tell you there is a down side, or what happens when meds DON'T work. I'd be curious to hear from people who tried but saw no improvement, but no one talks about that.

Sam learns differently and at a different pace than other kids. Isn't there anyone out there who can just teach him in an effective way, and leave all the baggage at the door? He can't help the way he is, but somehow I can't help but feel that we are constantly being blamed for how he functions. In schools, everyone has to learn the same way, and those that don't, get "special ed". Unfortunately, all those in special ed have to learn the same way, too. It sucks. If you are in special ed, you must not be smart enough to want a college education- those things should not matter. If you can't hack a classroom with 25+ kids in it, you must be a freak. Unfortunately, the things we want for Sam don't fit into either near little public school package. What's wrong with public schools that they can't get the job done for us? We pay enough taxes in this legendary fiscally wasteful state!

What was that I just wrote about my stress level "about" to go up? I think it already has, thanks to all the "educators" out there. Merry Christmas to you, too!

No comments: