Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Birthday!

How time does fly! Sam's 7th birthday is tomorrow! I can remember pretty clearly the night before he was born back in 2001. It was an exciting and terrifying time for me. The things we've all been through since then I could have never imagined 7 years ago. Back then I was a different person. I feel like I've grown so much more than Sam over the last 7 years! In the beginning, I was so fearful of being a parent. After a while, I grew used to it and started to really love having this wonderful, unique person in my life. As guilty as I sometimes feel for Sam being diagnosed as "late", I'm thankful for the 4 1/2 years we lived in the "normal" world. They made me strong and built me up to be ready for what was ahead. If someone had told me 7 years ago tonight that I would be the mother of a special needs child, I probably would have made a detour to the psych ward when I arrived at the hospital in labor! It all goes to show that there probably is some kind of big plan at work out there, something that guides us to our proper place in life.
I'm also so thankful for the life we have. We are so lucky. Sam is a bright, happy, and fun child. He lives life day to day with no worry about the future. We do that for him. We have so many blessings. I read about the situations that parents of special needs children go through- the fights with the schools, the dirty looks from total strangers (or even their own family members!), the father with 3 autistic girls laid off from his job and it breaks my heart. Tom and I are so lucky to have each other, supportive family and friends, and especially to have Sam. It will be a happy birthday for all of us as we think about the last 7 years and how our lives have been so enriched. I wish I could help those that are not as fortunate as we are, even if it's just to lend a sympathetic "ear". Anyone who reads this and wants to "chat", email me. The door is always open!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SAM!!!